Training your client advocates or pregnancy decision coaches to serve those at risk for abortion is critical to every pregnancy center's mission.
Today, Care Net's most recommended resource for training your team members is Compassion, Hope, and Help, an all new curriculum created with this generation's challenges, fears, and hopes in mind.
We've compiled our top 5 tips on how to get the best out of this training!
1. Schedule well. There are sample training schedules provided in the Trainer Guide. They work well with both 1on1 and group trainings to assign readings and then come together for discussions.
2. Make the most of your time. If time is limited, consider having participants read assigned chapters prior to the first training day and then design a fun quiz or sharing time for the chapters assigned. Suggestion: Participants could read Chapters 1 and 2 prior to training or complete Caring Foundations prior to training.
3. Utilize experts. Have Center board members, experienced coaches, and/or staff members teach or facilitate a chapter. You may also bring in medical professionals from your community to teach Chapter 8-Pregnancy Education, and 9-Abortion Education; Professional Counselors could teach Chapter 6, Coaching the Client in Crisis and Chapter 11, Coaching the At Risk Client; and a pastor could lead Chapter 3, The Role of the Gospel.
4. Lights, Camera, Role Play! Schedule ample time for role plays. Ask experienced coaches to model these role plays prior to asking the new participants to complete them. When doing role plays, divide the group into triads—one coach, one client, and an observer for feedback. Note: avoid negative feedback. Use care-frontation with one another.
5. Remember, we're here to help. Take advantage of all of Care Net’s resources, including advice and support from Care Net Center Service experts. It really is our pleasure to serve you.
Learn more about this resource at store.care-net.org/compassion-hope-help
Have questions or want more tips contact Caresource@care-net.org